Enjoy The Outdoors With Your Dog This Summer - Dog Training Tips
26th January 2016
Your dog loves fresh air and sunshine as much as you do! Try some of these outside games and activities to keep your dog happy and healthy. In addition, playing with your dog enhances the bond you share and helps him keep his focus on you!
- Freestyle Obedience - Take you dog to a large open area or field and have him follow you around as you deliver commands such as Sit, Down, Stay, Come, etc. Give lots of praise when your dog listens to you. If your dog does not come when called, have him on a long lead or in an enclosed area.
- Obstacle Course - Try setting up a tunnel for your dog to run through, poles to jump over, or cones to manoeuvre around. Start with your dog on lead and walk him through the course a few times, until he gets used to it.
- Batting practice - Grab a bat and dog safe ball to hit across the yard. He should bring back the ball before you hit another one.
- Hidden Treasure - Start with your dog in a Sit/Stay, allowing him to smell a treat, then hide it in the yard. Release your dog from the Stay and let him find it. You can make it more difficult by hiding a number of treats in advance. Scatter feeding your dog's kibble at mealtime (throwing it around the yard) will keep your dog busy for hours as he enthusiastically hunts for every last morsel.
- Group Walks - Organise a walking group for your neighbourhood or apartment complex. Pick different places - such as dog friendly parks, trails and even the beach!
- Biking - There are a variety of devices specifically made for "bikejoring" that attach your dog safely to a bicycle. Never attempt this just by holding your dog's normal lead in your hand while steering. Start slowly and keep the rides short until you and he gets used to it.
Remember that basic dog obedience is the foundation for having fun with your dog games and activities should be fun and a rewarding bonding experience.
Want more ideas? Click here.