My Dog Is Marking In Our House!
13th September 2018
What can you do when your dog is constantly picking up his leg in your home? Move? Not necessary, as there are ways to help you manage this issue.
So why is your dog marking in your home? The answer goes back to the idea that he thinks of himself as part of a pack and your home is part of their territory. What your dog is doing is making sure that the territory smells like him. Basically, he is leaving his ‘calling card’. The bad news is that this natural instinct can be very strong in some dogs and that this behaviour will naturally occur and continue to occur. The good news is that there is a way to take control of the situation and ‘manage’ the smell.
Remember that your dog wants his territory (your home) to smell like him. All we have to do is to make sure that the smell is something pleasant to us and natural to him. What we are going to do is to use a lavender smell in the house and to have your dog gain a very slight smell of lavender. Now your home and your dog will smell the same. He is happy that his territory smells like him and you are happy because your home doesn’t smell like a kennel.
So, how do you do this?
- Get some lavender scented plug-ins, oil or reed diffusers and place them around your house.
- Use a lavender carpet dust when you vacuum.
Now the house will have a very slight smell of lavender. You might not even notice smell, but your dog will definitely notice the new smell.
- Get a small vile of lavender oil and a water spray bottle. Dilute some oil and water together and spray lightly on furniture and your dog’s bedding.
- Place a few drops of lavender oil on a towel and lightly pass the towel over your dog’s fur. You want to have the lavender come in contact with the top of his fur but never his skin.
Now your dog has a very, very slight scent of lavender oil - your dog and his territory smell the same.
Other tips to help you take control of this situation are:
- Close off all doors throughout the house to prevent your dog wandering freely.
- Regularly taking your dog outside to toilet is very important.
- Place all water bowls outside and feed your dog outside.
- All his needs are taken care of outside his ‘den’.
Don’t be afraid to call on a professional if you need more help. Your local Bark Busters trainer will be happy to assist.